|Location: US-20, 34 miles N of Thermopolis, WY|
|GPS: 44d 1m 1s -107d 57m 20s|
|Map / Satellite Image: Google Link|
For countless generations the Crow, Sioux, Arapahoe, and, later, the Shoshone hunted abundant herds of buffalo in this Big Horn basin region. In 1900, pioneer “Dad” Worland founded a stage stop here along the Bridger Trail. A few years later, a small community of settlers launched an ambitious project to dig miles of irrigation canals, bringing water to the nascent town. In 1906, when railroad tracks were laid on the opposite side of the Big Horn River, the hearty Worlanders decided to move the town’s buildings across the frozen river by sliding its buildings on skids.
You might want to see Peter Toth’s Native American monument on display in front of the courthouse here. It is #36 on the nationwide “Trail of the Whispering Giants.” A metal sculpture depicting western settlers is located across the street in Pioneer Park.
Pictures of surrounding area:
Revised 29 November 2010